For many, the beginning of the year always bring a sense of new hope, that is, to leave behind whatever failures and past experiences and start afresh. Resolutions are made. Promises and vows are renewed. Goals are set. As I sit down and reflect back on what transpired last year, I can only say that it's nothing short of challenging and at times, very trying. There were probably more low points than I could bother to recall, but I'm not sorry that I had to go through that. In fact, I've learnt quite a few valuable lessons, which has helped me set the expectations for this year.
But I can already see some old hurdles that I have to cross. As someone who places a high premium on solid friendships, which is a really rare find these days, I don't like farewells. Saying goodbyes are almost always too hard, and are not without tears and long emails after that. This year, I have to do that yet again. Whilst I'm thrilled for friends who have or are moving on to another stage in life, I'm also sad to see the evolution of dynamics that change will bring to the friendship. Studies, weddings and relocation are all wonderful markers of one's life journey, but I've never been one that knows how to deal with them effectively where close friends are concerned. Hmph.
This year, I figure that 'I' should stop being the focus. Life is never about me and my human longings to begin with. Life is more than that. It is living for the One who created us, and it is about making a difference in the lives around us. Am I short of friends? No, certainly not. Do I desire to know more (true) friends? Without a doubt, yes. After all, we serve a relational God, and He has hard wired it into us the need to relate. But instead of harping on the agony of dealing with farewells, I'm going make it a point to be a better friend to those around me, near or far. I'd like to go beyond the occasional "how are you" emails or the annual lunches that are becoming common practice among working young adults. I want to truly rejoice with those who rejoice, and mourn with those who mourn.
But most of all, it is my heart's greatest desire to really know Christ in a deeper way. He is definitely the greatest Friend one can ever have, and in Him, I know I can have everything. As the lyrics of a favourite song go,
In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the Cross
In every victory, let it be said of me
My source of strength, my source of hope
Is Christ alone
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment